Tuesday, February 25, 2014

Week 6 Blog -- Carding for Energy Enhancers.


Recently I attempted to buy a 5 Hour Energy shot at a Casey’s gas station. Now in order to actually purchase an energy shot and certain energy drinks there you have to provide proof that you are at least 18 years of age.  I was surprised to be asked for my ID for an energy enhancer drink that I was trying to purchase.  I buy Red Bulls, energy shots and more all the time and for the first time ever I was carded.  Even talking about it amazes me, carding someone for an energy enhancer; its not alcohol nor is it a tobacco product so what is the deal?   After this happened I started doing some of my own personal research on it and came across an article that is dated July 30, 2013.  It is a local CBS news website that talks about how Casey’s Stores now require ID for energy shots and pills.  Reading further into this article they talk about how the Vice President of Finance for Casey’s General Store states that each shot has more caffeine than one cup of coffee and that he does want teenagers to get “carried away with them”.  He also talks about how they are concerned about how teenagers consume them may not be in a manner that they are intended for.  This to me is ludicrous.  Who is he to make judgment calls one what a person consumes?  Seeing as it is not stated that he is anything in the medical field, I don’t believe he even has the right nor should he have the capability to make this choice on the matter. 

No comments:

Post a Comment